Every time I start a new project I build a playlist for that project. My IPOD has several playlists for my various stories.
For me this is an essential first step in writing. I live in a busy house with three active kids and a husband that can’t sit still. When I need to be alone in a busy room I stick the headphones in my ears and turn up the volume.
I signed up for Nanowrimo on September 22nd and I’ve been building the playlist for the story I plan to write since that day. I’m sure this list will grow as the days pass but here’s my work in progress.
- What about now – Daughtry
- Closer to Love – Mat Kearney
- Never Say Never – The Fray
- Someday – Rob Thomas
- Used To – Daughtry
- Dare you to move – Switchfoot
- Maybe – Ingrid Michaelson
- Chances – Five For Fighting
- Smile – Uncle Kracker
- Sunday Morning – Maroon 5
- With or Without you – U2
- Who Knew – Pink
- Here it goes again – OK Go
- Are you happy now – Michelle Branch
- Time is running out – Muse
- Bittersweet Symphony – The Verve
- In the End – Linkin Park
- Our Lives – The Calling
- White Horse – Taylor Swift
- Shadow of a day – Linkin Park
- Shadowboxer – Fiona Apple
- Where ever you will go – The Calling
- The Sun – Maroon 5
I know it seems like a strange mix of music with no rhyme or reason but they all have a theme that fits my story. Each song has an individual purpose and helps me keep the emotions behind my writing fresh. If I play these songs when I can’t write, like in the car or at work then it helps me continue to brainstorm and come up with new ideas. They also inspire me while I write.
I find music and lyrics very inspiring. I may try my hand at song writing one day in addition to writing stories.
I tried to figure out how to have a working playlist on WordPress but had no luck. If you have any suggestion I’m open to hear them.