Character Study Part 1: Our True Selves
Characterization is something I thought I had figured out. I’m quickly finding out how untrue that is.
One of my characters is a bit contradictory. I attempted to write someone that portrayed strength on the outside but was a mess on the inside.
We’re all a little like that aren’t we? Don’t most people wear a facade to some extent? A social mask hiding our true feelings and true thoughts, at least with strangers.
Shouldn’t our characters have some mystery too? Especially if we want to avoid cookie cutter characters that lack depth.
I’m asking for your help. Enlighten me to your true self. What are you best attributes and your worst faults? How would you describe yourself in your own words.
Feel free to be honest or make something up. I encourage creativity. 🙂
What are your worst attributes? Please name two or three.
I’ll list mine first to break the ice.
- I’m outspoken. A little too outspoken. Sometimes I wish my mouth had a filter. Some people have even called me aggressively outspoken. Of course my response to that is, ‘Who me?’. 🙂
- I’m a procrastinator. Yes, and lazy too. That’s okay though because when I work, I work hard. (I’m also full of excuses…)
- Sometimes I take things for granted. This is something I truly dislike about myself. I have learned the hard way how short life is. I have to remind myself everyday to appreciate what I have.
What are your best attributes? Please list two or three.
- I love fully and honestly.
- I’m loyal. Not like a dog loyal, but if my best friend needed bail money or an alibi…’nuff said
- I’m outspoken. Yes, I just said that was one of my worst attributes, but it’s also one of my best. I’m real, no plastic here, what you see it what you get. Sometimes this is a good thing. At least you’ll always know where you stand with me.
Do you have contradictory character traits?
Your turn, tell me how you see yourself.